I ran across these pictures this weekend of our last morning in San Diego, a trip we took for my 40th birthday in October. I had forgotten I had taken them and almost deleted them from my computer during an attempt to do a little cyber "clean up."
Before heading to the airport we had some time to kill so we took a last minute trip to the harbor and found the Maritime Museum of San Diego. Even though we didn't have time to actually go aboard any, we enjoyed walking along the harbor and admiring the beautiful ships docked there. One of the workers selling tickets to the museum was nice enough to give us a brochure that gave us some information about the boats.
This one is known as the HMS Surprise and was built in 1970 as a replica of an 18th century ship. It was used in the movie "Master and Commander; Far Side of the World." The first thing that came to mind after learning this was, “Russell Crowe has been on and touched this very ship, cool..."
The other ship we saw was the Star of India. It's the world's oldest active sailing ship, built in 1863.
There was even a submarine, the USS Dolphin, the deepest diving one in the world.
Below is a picture of one of the many art pieces displayed along the walk to the ships, pictured in the background.
This is another art piece further down the harbor.
Before we headed to the airport we stopped at the Seaport Village to grab a bite to eat.
Here's a view of the marina right by the shops in Seaport Village.
It was early and most of the shops and places to eat were closed. We did find one cute little cafe open. That's my hubby going to check out the menu.
Against my wishes, "we" decided to skip breakfast at the cafe and head over to Little Italy instead to get a sandwich from a place a friend of my husband's told him about. Thanks Marcus...
Even though I wanted a breakfast bagel and fresh orange juice, I have to admit that the Italian sandwich I had at Mona Lisa's was one of the best I've had. I hate it when he is always right, at least when it comes to food!
Soon after enjoying our sandwiches on a sidewalk table, we were off to the airport to head back home to Houston. It was a great trip and I'm happy to have many fond memories (and pictures) to treasure for years to come. For more fabulous pictures of beautiful California click on the picture "A Trip to Remember" on my sidebar.













Lovely tour and photos from your trip to San Deigo.
ReplyDeleteSpectacular, San Diego is on my wish list of places...mmmm...the food!!~ and of course the sites to see....Great photos!!~
ReplyDeleteGreat pics of San Diego. We went many years ago and I just loved it. We went in August when it was 103 degrees and it was only 72 there. No humidity and no bugs. I sure could live with that.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog! I love San Diego. Your pictures are great!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful pictures.... thanks for sharing your trip with us.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed my trip with you through San Diego. That is a very nice place to visit. Thanks also for your visit and comment.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. It looks like a beautiful place to visit. How cool is it that the 1863 ship is still sailing? My great great grandfathers were babies when it first set out to sea!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely weekend!
: )
Julie M.